About Me

My photo
Naperville, Illinois, United States
Wife, mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, in-law, cousin, friend, gardner, golfer, animal and nature enthusiast.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Chemo Oncologist

Today, Jay and I met with Dr. Joseph Kash. He will be my chemo doctor. He's younger than we expected, but so is much of the population.

GOOD NEWS! After reviewing every inch of my profile, Dr. Kash decided that I will be on chemo - four times, three weeks apart. Dr. Kash will use two different chemo drugs (neither of which will be hard on my heart -- enough things going on there), both will be through my veins and one takes an hour and the other takes thirty minutes. So, because I will only have four injections, I don't have to have a port implanted into my body to accept the chemo and take blood count levels. YEAH! We have our first chemo class tomorrow, to learn all the ins and outs and I start chemo on May 5. I should be done with chemo on July 7. Radiation starts immediately after and continues 5 days a week for seven weeks.

MORE GOOD NEWS. The holiday are looking pretty cancer free and fancy free to me right now. I'll set my goals, emotional, physical and mental to a beautiful holiday season with my lovely family.

Okay, some not so good news. I have to have a CT chest scan and a MRI (UGH) on my right hip that has been bothering me since last Sept. Too much golf on the hip, so they are scheduled for Wednesday. I just need to fast forward through those two little blips and get on to the healing.

On the happy front, Jay and I had our first grilled meal out on our beautiful deck tonight. Life is grand.

Be well.

3 comments:

Bill and Nancy said...

Dee,
I'm with you on your adventure. I haven't walked your walk, but certainly can walk beside you. Can't wait until this is behind you.
Love,
Nancy

margiesorlien said...

Hi Dee,Praise God for the shorter cemo treatments.I will be praying for your tests. As you know that is how we got into another surgery but we are greatful they found it before that got worse to. Now we are waiting (again) for the pathology report on the nodule they took out. Robyn feels so much better this time. Now we need to get her on the nano site. God is good and a day at a time is how we have to live at the moment. I guess that is how we all should live.I will keep you in my prayers. We might be miles apart but with what we are going through I feel right next to you. Just like we were when we were kids.Love and hugs, Cousin Margaret

yuppie said...

Hooray Mom! We are so glad forthe good news. For the CT and MRI remember OMMMM YO-GAH. One of David's first favorite books. Okay,not really, but one of his first words was OM. Really. We love ou so much and will see you again for lots of hugs soon.

Love, jess, david, john and radja