About Me

My photo
Naperville, Illinois, United States
Wife, mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, in-law, cousin, friend, gardner, golfer, animal and nature enthusiast.

Monday, May 5, 2008

First Chemo Day - Three more to Go!

First of all, my CT scan and MRI came back as NO cancer anywhere else. I have bursitis in my right hip, as we already knew. Whew!

So, the chemo went on as planned. Got my nausea drip first along with a nausea pill, then an hour of the first drug, Taxotere. My nurse, Deb, watched me like a hawk the first half hour. I guess that drug can cause an immediate allergic reactions, they even had the oxygen near me in case I needed it. But, I did just fine. The second drug, Cytoxan, dripped in the last hour. It can be given in a half hour time, but because I don't usually due too well with drugs, she put it in slower. A piece of cake for the first time. Yeah -- small victories, I celebrate them!

Everyone from the doctor to all the nurses were great. For the next 48 hours, they have me taking compazine every six hours and, of course, my dexamethasone (steroids) today and tomorrow. These two drugs keep the nausea at bay.

We're switching my chemo days from Monday to Wednesday, since my next chemo would have fallen on Memorial Day, seems no one would be there. But, I'll be going in every Wednesday for blood tests so they can track my white cell count. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep that up so my chemo treatments won't be delayed. There's always something.

Jay and I are much relieved that everything went so well today. I think it's going to be a relatively early bedtime tonight. All the adrenalin is slipping away from us and we're worn out.

Tomorrow my tee time is 7:08 a.m., so I must be well rested if I'm going to go out and chase that little ball around. I've decided I'll take a cart, so the cart can do most of the chasing! I'll just have to hit them straight.

Be well all of you and thank you for all your prayers and thoughts. THEY WORK!

1 comment:

margiesorlien said...

So glad to hear everything went well. Golfing???????you are something else.Cute too!!!!!!!!I always think of you as so little.You are so right small victorys are sooooo big.We got together and decorated our shirts on Sunday for the walk on Mothers day. I put your name on my right hip.We also have moms picture and Jayes and Robyns picture on them and allot of sparkles. I am sure Ashley will put a picture on her caringbridge site. I am so proud of how you keep us all up. You are a wonderful example to us all. I love you cousin and my prayers are always with you. Love Margie
A day at a time!!!!!!